What is portability?
Portability is renting a dwelling unit with Section 8 Voucher assistance outside the jurisdiction of the initial Housing Authority.
Housing Choice Vouchers are accepted by cities across the country, giving families real choice about where they live. In the Housing Choice Voucher Program the rental assistance is “portable,” which means, it “moves” with you.
Portability allows you to move with continued assistance to any housing authority in the country that has a Housing Choice voucher program, regardless of whether the receiving Housing Authority bills or absorbs the cost.
As with any move, you must give your landlord and Boca Raton Housing Authority a written 60 day notice.
Participants wishing to port to another city must provide their BRHA Housing Specialist with the name, address, and telephone number of the housing authority where they will be moving.
Important Portability Facts
- Each housing authority has its own rules, regulations and deadlines that you must follow.
- Fair Market Rent limits or payment standards may be different.
- The utility allowance may be different and may affect the rent amount you pay.
- Subsidy standards may be different.
- The new housing authority will issue you a different voucher, which may change the size (number of bedrooms).
- When you move the new housing authority will re-verify your income.
- When you transfer to another Housing Authority they may re-verify your household income, family composition and require a recent criminal background check.
- If you are new to the Housing Choice Voucher Program and have not previously received rental assistance, your income must meet the Income Eligibility Limits of the area where you are transferring.
If you are new to the Housing Choice Voucher Program and have not previously received rental assistance, your income must meet the Income Eligibility Limits of the area where you are transferring
How to transfer to another Housing Authority
- Contact your Housing Specialist to determine if you are eligible to transfer.
- Complete a Transfer Request form and return to your Housing Specialist.
- Once paperwork is completed and processed your portability packet will be sent to the Housing Authority of your choice.
Transferring Into BRHA